Unsupported Browser This website will offer limited functionality in this browser. We only support the recent versions of major browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge.
(860) 649-8066
Cooling Stations to Open This Tuesday, June 18th :

Hot and humid weather will move into our area Tuesday, June 18th and is expected to go through the weekend.          
For Locations and times click here.

DRAFT MS4 Stormwater Report :

The DRAFT  MS4 General Permit 2023 Annual Report is available here.

Building & Land Use Department

Building & Land Use Department:

The Building & Land Use Department, along with its part-time consultants, enforce the Building Code, the Public Health Code, the Bolton Aquifer Protection Regulations, the Bolton Inland Wetlands Regulations, and the Bolton Planning & Zoning Regulations, as well as provide staff support to the Bolton Aquifer Protection Agency, Bolton Wetlands Commission, Planning & Zoning Commission, Bolton Zoning Board of Appeals, and other Committees and Commissions as requested. 

OpenGov ViewPoint Permitting System: 

Building and Land Use Permit applications are submitted online using the OpenGov/Viewpoint permitting system.  Applicants may use the following link to access the ViewPoint system: boltonct.portal.opengov.com. Please Note: If you have never used the ViewPoint system, you will have to register an account with an email address and password of your choice. For generalized instructions regarding this program, click here.  Any accompanying documentation/materials may be uploaded directly to the online application, or applicants may deliver paper copies to the department, and we will upload the information for you.

We strongly encourage the use of the online permitting system, as it does reduce manual input of the information by our staff, limits paper waste, and decreases permit processing times. It also provides the convenience of applying for a permit from any location with an internet connection, and the ability to track an application as it makes its way through the review process. Applicants who are unfamiliar with the ViewPoint system, and/or whom otherwise need assistance, are urged to contact Danielle Palazzini at ext. 6103.

Click here to review Building and Land Use Permit Application Fees.
Click Here to Access Building and Land Use Permit Applications 

Building Permits: 

Building permit applications are found under the “Building Dept” category on the homepage of ViewPoint or click one of the following:  7A, 7B, or 7C. 

Concrete Reporting Requirement Effective October 1, 2016
Pursuant to Public Act 16-45, a building permit applicant with a project involving concrete foundations is required to provide the name of the concrete supplier and the name of the concrete installer prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Completion.
This is for all concrete foundations poured after October 1, 2016, and it does not apply to site or hand-mixed concrete and not for minor items like residential deck piers, steps, or sidewalks.

The following are some specific application requirements pertaining to common projects: (click on the links below)


Decks and Porches


Furnaces and Boilers


New Home Construction


Right of Way


Sheds and Accessory Structures



Solar Panels


Required Inspections List

Permit Exemptions

The foregoing information is meant only as a guide to assist the applicant in providing all necessary documentation for common permit types. While it covers core requirements, projects do vary and as such, some applications may require additional submittals.
For information regarding refunds, click here.

Land Use Permits: 

Applications for Administrative Zoning approval, Lot line Reconfigurations, Rights of Way Permits, Solicitor’s Permits, and Special Events are found under the Land Use Dept” category on ViewPoint, as are the applications for approvals from the various commissions.

Applicants seeking Aquifer Protection, Inland/Wetlands, PZC, or ZBA approvals are urged to visit and review the commission web pages:

Aquifer Protection Agency

Inland Wetlands Commission

Planning and Zoning

Zoning and Board of Appeals

We also encourage applicants to contact the Land Use Department and/or the respective Commission Staff Agent before submitting an application. The Land Use Office hosts Staff Review meetings on specific applications on an as-needed basis, normally on Tuesday afternoons/evenings. Generally, these meetings are attended by the Planning Director, Building Official, Zoning Official, Town Engineer (when required), Wetlands Agent (when required), Health District Sanitarian (when required), and Highway Superintendent (when required), as appropriate. Other officials such as the Fire Marshal and Regional Sewer Authority representative may be asked to attend if the nature of the application requires it.

Helpful information:

Zoning Regulations

Notice of Reconfiguration of Lot Line for First or "Free" Cut

Evaluating a Lot of Record

State and Federal Home Repair and Rehabilitation Programs


As of April 7, 2020, the Town of Bolton has signed onto the C-PACE program. C-PACE (Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy) is an innovative financing solution from Connecticut Green Bank that makes green energy upgrades safe, accessible and affordable. With C-PACE, building owners can enjoy the advantages of energy upgrades immediately and pay for them over time through a voluntary benefit assessment lien, levied and recorded against the benefiting property, to be repaid along with real property taxes. It’s a safe investment that produces returns immediately and for years to come. Click here to learn more about how C-PACE can benefit you.          

As always, our staff is here to assist you and guide you through the building and land use permit application process. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have regarding a building or land use matter, or feel free to visit our department anytime during business hours.